Tamaqua Mayor Chris Morrison reads a proclamation declaring Sunday, Sept. 18 as Back to Church Sunday in the borough of Tamaqua. With Morrison is the Sassaman family, Ron, Hunter and Dorothy, from St. John’s UCC, and Ruth Kerr and Pastor Darryl Kensinger from Trinity UCC. Back to Church Sunday is national observance. All Tamaqua congregations have been urged to participate. Local churches and their worship times can be found at www.backtochurch.com. Back to Church Sunday is sponsored locally by the Tamaqua Area Faith Fellowship Network, a group of lay leaders from area congregation with the goal of promoting understanding and cooperation among all organizations doing God’s work in the community.
• St. John’s United Church of Christ, 150 Pine Street, Tamaqua is holding its Bible school program June 6 to 10, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Contact Beth Job at 570-668-2573 for information and registration.
• New Life Assembly of God and the Salvation Army are holding a combined Bible program June 20 to 24 at the Salvation Army, 105 West Broad Street, Tamaqua, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The program is Ocean Commotion: Diving into God’s Word. Contact 570-668-4059 or 570-668-0410 for information or registration.
• St. John XXIII Roman Catholic Parish is offering Parachute with the Angels and St. Catherine LaBoure, June 27 to 20 from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact Jane Habel at 570-668-1211 or at email@example.com.
• St. John and Zion Lutheran churches are offering Deep Sea Discover from July 5 to 8 at Zion Lutheran Church at Mauch Chunk and Greenwood streets, Tamaqua. Contact 570-668-2180 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or registration.
• Trinity United Church of Christ at 22 Lafayette Street, Tamaqua, is offering Cave Quest: Following Jesus, the Light of the World, July 11 to 15 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Contact 570-668-4139 for more information or registration.
• Bethany Evangelical Congregation Church at 223 East Broad Street, Tamaqua, will hold its Bible school program, Ocean Commotion: Answers in Genesis, July 18 to 22 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Contact 570-668-2520 for information and registration.
• St. Peter’s Union Church at 184 St. Peter’s Road, Mantzville, is offering Cave Quest: Following Jesus, the Light of the World July 18 to 22 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Contact 570-386-4388 for information and registration.
This year’s Hunger Walk in May, raised $3,597 and collected 48 boxes of food to distribute between Tamaqua’s three food banks. Both food and cash donations we up over last year’s totals and 66 people walked this year compared to 35 in 2014. Plans are already under way for a 2016 Hunger Weekend, May 14-15. “We would love to expand our ‘fighting hunger’ theme to the entire week, and we even have some ideas,” says organizer Paul Dodson from Bethany ECC in Tamaqua, “but we need champions to step forward who are willing to help develop those ideas.” Organizations or individuals interested in helping next year can contact Dodson at 570-668-0289.